Reading For Life...

So I passed the test. The driving test that is. Not the send-up test for my N.E.W.T.s. Cause that hasn't happened yet...they have a penchant to be delayed ever so often  =]
Annnnd....as I predicted...M failed...horribly. :) Not that it was hard...she just can't drive. :p
She was all boo-hoo on the way back and one of the officers saw her and told the DSP and he called dad and said to meet him next time. Maybe he'll fail her again...but I mustn't get my hopes up...
Now that i've passed, maybe mum n dad will buy me a car...!
This one maybe?

LOL. :D
Anyway...we're freed from college early on Mondays, so today i headed off to the reading room. And it turned out that the 2nd year students had a major biochem test coming up so it was absolutely packed! We weren'y givin up so easily though. F and I spotted a mangled chair with its cushions intact, so we dragged it into a corner unceremoniously and sat down to study.

That is till the power went out.

Now bear in mind that this is King Edward we're talking about. A transformer had gone beserk. And though Mayo has more than two direct supplies from the grid... it still took them over an hour to fix it.
The weather was better today though. More clouds, less humidity. Should happen more often :(

F ditched me then. He went off to the hostel where they were premiering their very own version of "Pirates". Don't ask.

2 hours into the fray and the person next to me was begining to smell strongly of Pullao..(M calls it "bridge come"..Pull...Aao..get it? :) and that was when the salivary glands i was trying to study went into overdrive. I sniffed hungrily once or twice and he looked at me kinda strange! And then he produced a lunch box from his desk (filled with Pullao of course) and proceeded to eat it right under my nose.
Needless to say, I had to leave. Or he would've been Pullao-less in a jiffy.

A final survey of the reading room as I left: 25 out of the 40 people there were sleeping. Out of the 15 who were awake, 3 were reading novels; Lord of the rings, The Digital Fortress and Eclipse???!!! (i might be mistaken). The one reading about Gandalf turned it into a pillow seconds later...to join the overwhelming majority. 3 more were surfing face book on their lap tops. while the rest were all fixed in the same position; a book in their lap, both feet on the table, chair reclined, an array of high-lighters in one hand while the other attempted to smooth out the creases forming on their foreheads as they struggled to figure out the mysteries of life.

30 comments:

Haris Ghole said...

Congrats... atleast NOW you CAN drive.. ;)
Tough Luck M... Sajeel sure is ominous..
I wonder who F is ?? Pirates... ? (O_o) ofcourse, the fantasy world of our hostellers..
Stop bragging about your studies, it makes me feel uncomfortable...

Haris Ghole

SaJ said...

aka flower.
Ya missed the point that were I really studying, this post would've still been in my head.
But go on. get queasy. Ya deserve it ;)

Alec Lindsay said...

Good news about your test, Sajeel! Look out other drivers, power lines, innocent pedestrians (no such thing), cyclists, garden walls, ditches, shop fronts, market stalls, etc. etc. :) And why so down on M? No - pullao joke went straight over my head, but don't bother explaining it, unless you want to make me feel really foolish! Love, Alec

ChickLitGirl said...

1. KING EDWARRRDD!?!?!
Wow. You must be super smart. Im moving to Lahore and I'll deff apply there. Do they have a dental program thing?
2. The Harry Potter references get me every time. *thumbs up*

AL said...

How cool are you?? LOL. You can drive now. Yay!! Hahhah.. and you studied. Two things i still have'nt done lol

Komal Ali said...

Yayyy for the clearing the driving test. :)
I like the slight humor in the post.

SaJ said...

@Alec
I wont explain the Pullao joke but M and I have an innate rivalry in pretty much everything :)
I'm thinkin of getting a sticker like yours though...so many pedestrians...so little time...:D

@CLG
Oh yeah. Me. Super smart. Whiz-kid. Genius. Forget Einstien ;) but the dental program here (which I am in) is right at the bottom of the medical one, so its not really that prestigious. wouldn't recommend it much.
Thanks for the thumbs up :)

SaJ said...

@AL
not that cool really :(
But drive I can and would seriously recommend you try it...but do forget the study part...that's hazaardous to your health! ;)

SaJ said...

Thanks Komal!
The funny side of life is what keeps us going, ain't it? :)

Sidrah said...

Yay for u to clear ur driving test!

am a dental student, too and it kinda sucks right -___-

Sidrah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sidrah said...

Yay for u to clear ur driving test!

am a dental student, too and it kinda sucks right -___-

Sidrah said...

Yay for u to clear ur driving test!

am a dental student, too and it kinda sucks right -___-

SaJ said...

Thanks Sidrah :)
and yup. it sure does at times. Still...gotta love it.
*no other choice!*
:D

Tazeen said...

I love the way you observe things. A different side of the prism :) The library part was the best :D

M said...

I sympathise with M.
Tell her i know what it feels like to want something and not get it. Especially when its a license.

majworld said...

congrats for passing the test..nd gud, reading room is atleast full and people reading, its not only for course books :p

Captain Dumbass said...

Congrats on your driving test. Oh, and the pic? You can get those coloured to match your truck.

SaJ said...

Thanks Tazeen :)

@M
Don't we all.
I don't think she wanted one that much...she was more sorry to see me pass :D

Thanks Majworld.
of course...who'd know how to cure vampire bites and heal magically without em, hun? ;)

@The Captain
I'm so glad you came over:D
Nah...they wouldn't stand out then...but i'll use flourescents :)

Roumopod said...

Lol.
Thoroughly enjoyed your rambling. and Bravo on the exemplary description of the reading room. Some things never change.

Anonymous said...

lo.seeda kaho dmont main parhtay ho.

SaJ said...

Thanks Roumopod :)
You're right they dont. We still have one bathroom in there for instance, for all the Kings & Queens of K.E., that we're not. :D

@annon
hahaaa..who spit in your bean curd? well okay its strictly de'montmorency college of dentistry (a tongue wrangler if there ever was one), but since every dental college teaches the same basic subjects in the first two years to the medical students, guess where do we get to go? ;)

p.s. i know who this is...its you isn't it? :D

Roumopod said...

I loved Demont. Got to spend a week there. Well, three days there and two at the holy edwardian palace itself. But it was lots of fun. Wasn't even fooled.
Seems like a lifetime ago.
Glad you are enjoying your time there.
P.s. reading rooms are a part of the enjoyment.:D

Julia said...

Driving. Welcome. Now be careful! You can call me an old lady driver... But I see that those dangling ornaments are EVERYWHERE! I thought only our hillbilly town had them. Ha.

SaJ said...

@Roumopod
You weren't fooled??? how come!:D
But why only a week? were you upgraded or something?
Reading rooms right now seem more like a bachelor apartment ;)

@Julia
Hellooo Tall Lady!
Oh come on! careful? why on earth would I be careful?:D I have a mission! a duty to all the other drivers out there! ;)
And yes they're everywhere. And they're also environment friendly. I checked :D

J Jay. said...

so you passed the test, big deal!
i think i did hear the words "GRACE MARKS" somewhere!
and i wasn't crying i was showing "grace under pressure":p
if somebody hadn't hogged the car so much i would have gotten more than a week to prepare for my test!
so stay in lhr don't come home!
let me drive in peace!

J Jay. said...

so you passed the test, big deal!
i think i did hear the words "GRACE MARKS" somewhere!
and i wasn't crying i was showing "grace under pressure":p
if somebody hadn't hogged the car so much i would have gotten more than a week to prepare for my test!
so stay in lhr don't come home!
let me drive in peace!

mona said...

hey watch it blubber mouth! talking about everything that happens in your life on your blog is not good business! other members of your family might also develop this trait....then where would you be?
so put a lid on it!
and study for heavens sake!
as the "police" say "i'll be watching you!"

Roumopod said...

I did get upgraded. Went to QMC. so was there for a few days only.
:)
I don't know why I never got fooled. I even asked people to hurry with my fooling since my uncle is here to pick me. They loved me so much, they let me go.lol.

Amna K said...

Although reading rooms could be great nap spots, I'd still prefer people reading there.. and if i was in charge, i'd seriously kick them non-readers out!
Ah, that's me well. :-)