Winds of Change

Life at the moment is very dry. Like the weather.
I am home for the holidays, yes. But home does not right now exist as I know it. And that leaves me sad and bored. I was reading Russell on Boredom and excitement and he says some interesting things.
“…nor have the lives of great men been exciting except at a few great moments.”

But then Bronte says, in Jane Eyre:
'It is in vain to say human beings ought to be satisfied with tranquility: they must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it'.

I like it. We have two sides of the story now.

Russell Counters:
“Altogether, it will be found that a quiet life is characteristic of great men, and that their pleasures have not been of the sort that would look exciting to the outward eye.”

Bloody philosophers.
They're both right to an extent, me thinks. People have different notions of pleasure. Maybe that great man isn’t doing anything exciting by you, but maybe to him there can be nothing more so than his work. Its a question of standards all over again. But they're few now. And creating action is so much easier. Anywaaay.

It’s been unbelievably hot here. You can’t imagine how hot. So hot it felt like you were being grilled alive. And no one looked after my banana tree while I was gone so its like this.


Okay I may have touched it up a bit.
But the winds of change. They’re finally here…still waiting for the rain though.
I used to like summers. Mangoes, swimming, lassi, vacations, ice-cream, mountains, boating, tube-wells, farm houses. Aaalo Bukharas. Na calls them Potato Fevera. ;-)

My world is very strange. And I have just received a text from RM asking what “depression induced euphoria” is. He isn’t happy with my explanation. I wasn’t happy with him experiencing it either.

“A happy life must be to a great extent a quiet life, for it is only in an atmosphere of quiet that true joy can live.” That’s Russell again. And not Crowe, idiot.

Paramore – The Only Exception…its been on repeat all this time.

4 comments:

Alec Lindsay said...

I've always worried about Russell. He never quite computes. He doesn't, for instance, define a 'great man'. In fact I think the questions which start 'it depends what you mean by ...' apply to much of what he said. Somehow I don't think his 'great man' would be the same as mine. I think I let facetiousness creep in there! Love, Alec

Jason Shaw said...

I'm sure his great man, would be far from my idea of a great man also.

I'd like to think that each and everyone of us is great in our own ways - some perhaps greater than others, or at lease we all have the potential to be great.

I like hot, but I feel for your banana tree.

SaJ said...

@ Alec & Jason
Thanks for the input :)

Philosophys still much of a new realm to me and i'm still reading his work so i don't have much a solid opinion ov him yet. But he doesn't seem that bad though :p

And Jason...my banana tree sends its regards ;)

Tazeen said...

That's the song, Saj. Remember? *small smile* Can't believe I ran into it here.